What to expect with tooth extraction:
- Place pressure on the gauze pad that has been placed on the extraction site for one hour. If the bleeding continues, replace the gauze with a new one and place pressure on the new gauze pad for another 45 minutes.
Things to do after tooth extraction:
- Avoid eating or drinking anything hot on the day of the tooth extraction.
- Do not rinse your mouth.
- Do not use a straw for drinking.
- Do not drink carbonated beverages (soda, beer, etc.)
- Do not spit.
- Do not brush on the day of surgery. You can resume brushing and flossing the day after surgery, gently.
- Take any medication that was prescribed for you according to instructions.
- During the first 2-3 days after surgery, a diet of soft foods and liquids is recommended.
- For more complex Surgical Procedures including Impacted Wisdom Tooth Extraction, Implant Surgical Procedures, etc.: you will receive an ice wrap which should be worn for the rest of the day and until you go to bed on the day of surgery only (10 minutes on and 5 minutes off). Individual instructions for various surgical treatments will have unique directions which will be given to you at the time of your treatment.
- Call our office if you are in severe pain, experience heavy bleeding, sever swelling or have any questions or concerns.